Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Summer Playlist 2012





Today is the first day of summer, and if you live in northeastern America with me, you’re experiencing our first truly über-scorching days. Perhaps we can turn up the AC a little out there, huh?

In honor of the world’s most revered season, here is a playlist you can enjoy whilst soaking up those UV-rays by the pool. Me? I’m sitting in my office typing away on my computer, trying my best to multi-task. How I wish summer vacation was still blithely carefree.

Cheers!


“Welcome to Jamrock” by Damien Marley
Perhaps you are more familiar with Damien’s father, Bob? Well, nevertheless, Marley is here to carry on the family tradition acting as a spokesperson for crime, poverty and political corruption in Jamaica. Or, as he emblematically refers to it, Jamrock. Despite the song’s deeper meanings, this 2005 reggae hit melodically flows in tune with the summer’s heat waves.
Out in the streets, they call it muuuuuurderrrrr


“Rodeo Clowns” by Jack Johnson and G. Love
I don’t think there is anyone in America who can accurately portray those burning summer vibes as well as Jack Johnson. In fact, the singer lives full-time in Hawaii, where the snow never falls and the ocean is endless. A friend of mine claims her family friend is Johnson’s neighbor. Oh? I’d love to visit! This song is different from your average Jack Johnson song because it has just a tinge of rap thanks to musician and personal friend, G. Love. If you like this song, check out the acoustic version too.
Pick me up when you’re down, yeah, yeah


“Amber” by 311
Do you like that muted guitar in the beginning? That sound is oh, so soothing to my sweet and sweaty (this is summer, remember?) ears. Amber is one of the few songs I love, and actually even know, by 311. It reminds me of a sweet escape, and along it’s slight reggae tone is why it scored a spot on my summer playlist. Nick Hexum, the band’s lead guitarist and vocalist, wrote it for his then-fiance, Nicole Scherzinger.
Amber is the color of your energy


“Sunshine” by Atmosphere
Atmosphere is one of the few rap groups I can actually listen to and thoroughly enjoy. What differentiates them is not their subject matter, but how they portray it. They are so lyrical and poetic; each song gives a vivid description of what they are trying to say, rather than masking it in curses and tales of murder and sex. Plus, this song makes me so happy, I only can listen to it on sunny days. Have a listen and tell me if you agree.
Sunshine, Sunshine it’s fine. I feel it in my skin, warming up my mind


“No Rain” by Blind Melon
Even though Shannon Hoon, lead vocalist, passed away in 1995 after an overdose, his band’s legacy still lives on. How can it not? “No Rain,” their debut single, reached a startling #20 on the Billboard Hot 100 list after its release in 1992. Take a peep at the lyrics and you’ll see why I added it to my summer playlist. Maybe it would remind you of your unemployed self, too.
All I can say is that my life is pretty plain. I like watching the puddles gather rain


“Too Much” by Dave Matthews Band
Once summer hits, I try to scheme how many Dave shows I can fit in, and afford, in those short four months. Dave Matthews is one of my favorite modern rock-jam bands and I am beyond grateful that he is so reliant with his touring. Even last summer, when he said he was going to “take a break from touring,” he somehow managed to sneak in four three-day-long caravans. Talk about dedication to his fans! 
Oh, traffic jam, got more cars than a beach got sand



“Strawberry Swing” by Coldplay
 The epitome of summer, “Strawberry Swing” has the trippy guitar, happy-go-lucky melody and the happily endearing lyrics. I was introduced to this song in the summer and will always connect it to those smoldering hot days. I may have to perhaps recognize this song as my pick for an all-occasions summer tune. Blast it as loud as you can and heck it out on Viva la Vida or Death and All his Friends.
It’s such, it’s such a perfect day



“One More Time” by Mike Pinto
It’s fitting that I discovered this song before heading of to my first year of college. To me, the song is about friends, family and ever-lasting connections. It’s a song about leaving a place, not knowing if you will ever return to see the familiar faces you grew up with and the world you were once accustomed to. I’d like to think of this song as an appropriate alternative to “Graduation” by Vitamin C. It really nostalgically tears me up.
One more time for old times sake. I’ll always give you my, my hand to shake



“Stealing Time From the Faulty Line” by Phish
I have to admit, all Phish songs really remind me of summer, this is just one of my favorites. The band endlessly jams as if there isn’t a frickin’ care in the world, and that is what I love about it so much. It embodies the visage of summer, the season of relaxation and beauty. If you like this song, you can also check out Tweezer, Bathtub Gin and Down with Disease. I couldn’t decide which to add!
Got a blank space where my mind should be



“Tuesday’s Gone” by Lynyrd Skynyrd
If you ever saw the movie Dazed and Confused, you would understand. This song resembles the winding down of stress and anxiety that rots in your mind throughout the working seasons. I love this song, especially, because it always reminds me of the end. Nothing specific, just “the end.” The end of school, the end of worries, the end of life as we know it. It urges you to just flow with the wind. If you haven’t seen it, watch Dazed and Confused, it is most definitely worth it. Or Happy Gilmore, which also ends with “Tuesday’s Gone.”
Tuesday’s gone with the wind, my baby’s gone with the wind

No comments:

Post a Comment