Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Catholic Church Takes on Dubstep


What do the Catholic Church and Dubstep have it common? I wish I could say nothing…




The Catholic Church has summoned British electro-pop band Ooberfuse to write a song to attract the, as they called it, “Nightclub Generation.” Father Christopher Jamison, semi-known to the public from his TV shows The Monastery and The Big Silence, commissioned the band to create “Call My Name.” (Click to listen).
 
The song, which was released May 29, clearly wasn’t a huge commercial success (no offense, Ooberfuse). I couldn’t even find a hint of the song on YouTube. What could have caused this unforeseen failure?

Perhaps, British singer Cheryl Cole's single that coincidently was released on the same date and with the same title, and which also coincidentally shot up the charts to No. 1.

How could Father Jamison have overlooked this one?

“Shortly after submitting our song… we discovered that Cheryl Cole planned to release a song with the identical name,” said Ooberfuse front-woman, Cherrie Anderson. “This is a weird and uncanny coincidence. Whereas her song is about her lover calling out her name, our song is about God calling out our name, summoning us to a higher life in which we fulfill our holy and God-given destinies.”

I’m not saying that it is wrong for the Church to drag in a fresh crowd, especially the younger generation, which will be the Church’s future. I just think there are more appropriate forums.

When I think of Dubstep, I personally think of alcohol, drugs, sweaty parties and DJ’s who have hair longer than any female I’ve met—I have BassNectar particularly in mind.

If you are interested, “Call My Name” will be featured in Ooberfuses’ new album, Seventh Wave, coming out this August. Cheryl Cole’s single is out also… apparently.

Personally, I’m not a fan of either, but I’m sure there are people out there that will appreciate it. Maybe even you?


And by the way, are we really the Nightclub Generation? Come on.


"I know the Truth" by Pretty Lights at Bonaroo 2011
Wish I was going there this weekend.


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3780462/new-minglewood-blues?claim=eabzg8f2rbf">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment