Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy 70th Birthday, Paul McCartney!




I was fortunate enough to see Paul McCartney perform last summer at Yankee Stadium, and despite his seasoned age, he literally rock-n-rolled my socks off.

The concept of time is very perplexing. I remember only six years ago singing, “When I’m 64,” obviously in reference to and honor of McCartney’s 64th, but now the Rock God has quickly reached the big 7-0. And he’s still killin’ it.

If you know me at all, you know that the Beatles are, and will always be, the number one band in my heart. Without them even knowing, they have helped me through some hard times and, at risk of sounding overtly sensitive, I couldn’t be more grateful for them. I can recall the song “Strawberry Fields Forever” carrying me through various funerals. Even if that was a Lennon original, I consider every late Beatles song a collaborative effort (even if they really weren’t.)

I have to admit, however, that I am not much of a post-Beatles McCartney fan. Wings never did anything for me, and especially his more recent solo albums, such as his Firemen run at Electric Arguments and his album Memory Almost Full, weren’t too spectacular. There were, however, sporadic hits on each, including “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey,” “Maybe I’m Amazed” and “Dance Tonight.”

McCartney’s songs were always more melodic and upbeat than Lennon’s. He was clearly the optimist in the group and enjoyed spreading love to his avid listeners. The only sad song I can think of off my head, “Yesterday,” was a lament on the sorrows of losing his mother to breast cancer at an early age. It was eradicated, however, with “Let It Be.” McCartney claimed he saw his mother (Mary, obviously) in a dream, urging him that no matter what issues his band was facing, to just Let Them Be.

Today, in honor of Paul McCartney’s 70th birthday, I have compiled a list of my favorite McCartney originals. I encourage you to click through the links to have a listen, to enjoy the YouTube clips and I highly recommend researching the songs I did not link. They are all good, and to me, they are very special.


Make sure to check him out at this summer's Olympic opening ceremony. He will be "opening the closing." For more, take a peak at my article on dualshow.

Cheers, Paul McCartney! Happy birthday.

"Live and Let Die"

"Band on the Run"

"Jet"

"Let Me Roll It"

"Martha"


"Hey Jude"

"Helter Skelter"

The Abbey Road Medley- Last few songs of the album

Also: "Blackbird," "Here There and Everywhere," "And I Love Her," "Eleanor Rigby," "I Saw Her Standing There," "Lovely Linda," "I've Just Seen a Face," "Penny Lane," "Got To Get You Into My Life," "For No One," "Michelle," "Lovely Rita," "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (both)," "Paperback Writer," "The Long and Winding Road" and "Lady Madonna" among many others.


No comments:

Post a Comment