Thursday, July 12, 2012

Muse's "Survival" is Song of the Summer Olympics




The summer Olympics are fast approaching (starting July 27) and Muse’s new single “Survival” has been chosen as the official song for the Games this year. It will be heard throughout the three-week event when athletes enter the venues and before award ceremonies.

“Survival” made its radio debut last week following the recent release of the music video. The three-minute track is decent and kind of reminds me of Queen’s “We Are the Champions,” for obvious lyrical reasons. But besides the Olympic spirit epitomized in the single, I don’t see this song going anywhere. The lyrics aren’t meaningful or deep in any sense of the word—it basically is a fight song about how the narrator “will survive… And I’ll reveal my strength/ To the whole human race/ Yes I’m gonna win.”

And sadly, I’m not even kidding when I say that’s basically the entire gist of the track. However, Muse’s frontman, Matt Bellamy, admitted that it was written solely with the Olympics in mind. “I wrote it with the Games in mind as it expresses a sense of conviction and determination to win,” he said.

Hopefully the rest of Muses new album, The 2nd Law, won’t sound as amateur as this. I guess we’ll just have to wait until the September release date to find out.

Check out the official London Olympics 2012 music video below.


No comments:

Post a Comment