Monday, October 22, 2012

The Most Underrated Band in America: Guster

Photo Credit: guster.com



It bothers me how many people are missing out on what I dub the “Guster Experience.”

I’ve known of Guster for a while, but I wasn’t hooked until I saw them perform live at the DMB Caravan two years ago in Atlantic City. Since then, I’ve been enamored. 

Front man Ryan Miller was hilarious, and his high-pitched voice aesthetically complimented co-front man Adam Gardner’s deep and more hollow sound. Not to mention drummer Brian Rosenworcel, who played his bongos with his bare hands.

You can’t describe Guster’s music as simply happy or sad. Their songs are layered like an onion and never at one extreme. You have to almost literally peel through their albums to get in touch with what subtle implications they are trying to convey.

But nonetheless, their music is a mastered marriage of both feminine and masculine qualities—something many bands cannot achieve without entering into the realms of “too-much-pop.” Perhaps this is a result of the harmonious clash between Miller and Gardner’s voices.

I love Guster, and you should too. So start listening to them now… or else.

"One Man Wrecking Machine"

"The Captain"

"Demons"

"Manifest Destiny"

"Diane"

"Satellite"

"Keep It Together"

"Fa Fa"

"Happier"

"Either Way"

No comments:

Post a Comment